Lynn Russell Chadwick CBE (24 November 1914 25 April 2003) was an English artist and sculptor trained as an architectural draughtsman, but began producing metal mobile sculpture during the 1940s.
Chadwick was commissioned to produce 3 works for the 1951 Festival of Britain exhibition. He exhibited at the Venice Biennale in 1952 with Reg Butler, Bernard Meadows and Eduardo Paolozzi and he won the International Prize for Sculpture in Venice in 1956. His work is included in most major public collections. Chadwick is featured in the 1964 documentary film “5 British Sculptors (Work and Talk)” by American filmmaker Warren Forma.
Chadwick was made a Commander of The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire in 1964, and a French Officier de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres in 1985.
He died at Lypiatt Park, Gloucestershire on 25 April 2003
1914 Russell Chadwick born 24th November at Ivy Cottage, Station Road, Barnes,
the elder child and only son of Verner Russell Chadwick and Margery Brown Lynn
1926-32 Attended Merchant Taylor’s School, London
1932 France to improve his French; stayed at Vouvray, near Tours; returned via
Paris; saw Epstein’s tomb for Oscar Wilde
1933-39 Trained and worked as a draughtsman in various architectural firms in London;
attended evening classes at Regent Street Polytechnic in an attempt to become a
qualified architect but abandoned the course.
1940-41 Worked as a farm labourer in Hertfordshire
1941-44 Volunteered for the fleet Air Arm, Royal Navy. Training in Detroit and Canada. Met
Charlotte Ann Secord in Toronto and married her in 1942. First child Simon born.
Chadwick qualified as a pilot and commissioned.
1944-46 Resumed work with architect Rodney Thomas in London, specialising in exhibition
design. Lived in house at 2 Cheyne Row, Chelsea.
1946 March: moved to Fisher’s Cottage, near Edge Stroud, Gloucestershire, on the estate
of the architect Detmar Blow. Won a £ 50 prize in textile design. Made his first mobile, developed from ideas of moving sculptural objects proposed by Rodney Thomas.
1947-52 Produced textile, furniture and architectural designs.
1947 First mobile shown at the Builder’s Trades Exhibition, on the Aluminium
Development Association’s stand, which he had designed.
1948 Mobile for Morris Furniture Company of Glasgow stand at British Industry’s Fair
1949 Small mobile for window of Gimpel Fils, London, as part of a mixed exhibition
1949-50 December – January: exhibited with the London Group
1950 Commissioned by Jane Drew to make a mobile for the Riverside Restaurant Tower
and by Misha Black for a stabile, Cypress, to be placed in the garden of the Regatta
Restaurant, both for the Festival of Britain South Bank site.
June: first one-man exhibition, Gimpel Fils, London
Summer: took welding course at British Oxygen Company’s Welding School,
1951 Festival of Britain South Bank Exhibition: metal and wood mobile for Tower,
Riverside Restaurant and stabile, Cypress, for the Regatta Restaurant Garden.
May – September: exhibited Green Finger (Mobile) at the second Open-Air
Sculpture Exhibition, Battersea Park Festival Garden.
July: Fisheater mobile commissioned by the Arts Council, shown at the RBA
1952 Second One-Man exhibition at Gimpel Fils, also shown at the Galerie de France,
Paris. Included in British Council’s New Aspects of British Sculpture exhibition for
the XXVI Biennale, Venice. Member of the London Group
1953 First solid sculptures produced
March: one of twelve semi-finalists for The Unknown Political Prisoner International Sculpture Competition organised by the Institute of Contemporary Arts, London – awarded honourable mention and £ 250 prize.
1956 the International Prize for Sculpture, XXVIII Biennale, Venice
1958 Moved to Lypiatt Park, near Stroud, Gloucestershire
1958 Won first prize, III Concorso Internazionale del Bronzetto, Padua
Divorced from his first wife. Married Frances Mary Jamieson: daughters Sarah and Sophie
1958 Signed two year contract with Marlborough Fine Art, London; regularly exhibited
1958 Exhibited hors concours at VI Bienal de SPaulo, Brazil
1958 Prize-winner at VII Esposizione di Bianco e Nero, Lugano
Artist in residence for a term at Ontario College of Art, Toronto
Invited by Italsider S.p.A., Genoa, with Alexander Calder and David Smith, to carry out an open-air sculpture project for the Festival dei Due Monde at Spoleto, on recommendation of Giovanni Carandente, Museo d’Arte Moderna, Rome
June: Two Winged Figures, monumental steel box structures, exhibited at Spoleto
1958 Received Carborundum Company’s Sculpture Major and Minor Awards to produce
circular sculpture in fibreglass, Manchester Sun, for the front of the Williamson
Building for Life Science, University of Manchester
1958 Appointed Commander, Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the New Year
Death of Frances Chadwick
Represented in London Group 1914-64 Jubilee Exhibition (although ceased to be a
member in 1963).
Elected member of the Accademia di San Luca, Rome
Elected member of the Accademia Firentina delle Arti e Disegno, Florence
Married Eva Yvonne Reiner: one son Daniel Sebastian
1968 sculpture for Milan Esposizione Triennale
1970 Made jewellery for Rebecca John
1970 Opened his own foundry at Lypiatt Park
1973 Four lithographs for Club S. Erasmo, Milan
1984 by the British Art Medal Society to design a medal, Diamond, struck
by the Pobjoy Mint for the BAMS
1984 : created Officier, Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, France
1984 : acquired large warehouse at Lypiatt and equipped it as a workshop and
1988 February: chairman of jury, sculpture project for new Glaxo Building, Verona
Visited Miami and Caracas, Venezuela, in connection with a touring exhibition
June – September: invited by the Director of the XLIII Venice Biennale to contribute bronze, Back to Venice, in special international sculpture survey.
November: appointed the Order of the Andreas Bello – First Class, Venezuela
1988 March: acquired second workshop and studio at Chalford
24 April: inauguration of Hello Paris at Le Pontant de Paris
Summer: began to place sculpture in Toadsmoor Valley, adjoining Lypiatt Park
Closed foundry, Pangolin editions to cast all his work
1993 Commandeur, Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, France
Created Associate, Acad
Click on image to enlarge
OSBORNE SAMUEL GALLERY is one of London’s leading galleries, long established in the heart of Mayfair. The gallery began as Berkeley Square Gallery and became Osborne Samuel when Peter Osborne and Gordon Samuel joined forces. The gallery specialises in Modern British Painting and Sculpture and has a high reputation for the quality of its exhibitions and publications. Expand...
The gallery has particular expertise in the work of Henry Moore and Lynn Chadwick and also exhibits the most important British sculptors such as Barbara Hepworth, Kenneth Armitage and Elisabeth Frink.
The gallery is the leading international dealer in the colour linocuts of the artists of The Grosvenor School of Modern Art. The gallery also has a substantial inventory of Modern and Contemporary Prints including Auerbach, Freud, Francis, Nevinson and Wadsworth.
Osborne Samuel has pioneered art from emerging markets, notably Indian contemporary art with exhibitions of major Modernists such as SH Raza and the best of the next generation. Recently the gallery has brought Iranian contemporary art to London with great success.
The gallery exhibits at the world’s major art fairs including TEFAF Maastricht, Masterpiece London, Frieze Masters and Art Miami. Close...
25-28 October 2018
Osborne Samuel Gallery are...